So you’re not having pain…Want to stay that way?
For years, people have associated going to physical therapy because of pain, injury or surgery.
What if you went to see a physical therapist BEFORE you have problems with joints, mobility, balance?
We go to our primary care physicians for yearly exams for preventative care. However, they are not experts in musculoskeletal care and prevention. Many are now referring for an annual wellness exam with physical therapists who ARE experts in human movement.
Physical therapists specialize in biomechanical assessments of the body. PTs are training to help people maintain every level of activity, whether it is high level performance, weekend warriors, daily walks, or just staying independent in your home. As we age, our bodies and activity levels change, and identifying problems, muscle imbalances, or mobility restrictions BEFORE injury or pain, can make a huge difference in long term outcomes.
During your yearly Musculoskeletal Check up, the physical therapist will screen your general body and joint range of motion, flexibility and strength, and perform more specific assessments as needed based on your screen results. If necessary, they will provide a corrective exercise program, activity modifications, or plan of care. Your check-up is completely individualized and customized to you and your daily activities and goals. Your annual check-up will help you address any issues in advance so you don’t have to stop the activities you enjoy doing.
Who Will Benefit from a PT Wellness Exam
- People who have had physical therapy before and want to ensure they are doing your exercises correctly and everything is in working order.
- People who are ready to change their sedentary lifestyle, but you are afraid of hurting themselves.
- People who want to increase training and want to make sure their joints and muscles are in good condition.
- People who are having minor pain when swinging the golf club, or playing tennis, but you still think it will “just go away”.
- People who think “everything just goes downhill after 50
- People who have just been giving a new medical diagnosis and they aren’t sure what exercise is safe.
BENEFITS OF ANNUAL PHYSICAL THERAPY CHECK-UP
- Personalized Program: The physical therapist will go through your personal health concerns and then work with you on a personalized program so you can actually do something about these concerns.
- Follow Up: In addition to putting together a personalized program a physical therapist will help you to follow through with the program by putting together a year-long plan during your annual check-up.
- Low Cost Solution to Rising Health Care Costs: According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, a research study shows that Americans may be spending money unnecessarily for treatments depending upon the health condition. Physical therapists can offer a personalized treatment plan and education for health and well being to provide an effective holistic alternative while reducing the costs of healthcare for the patient.
- Reverse the Aging Process: Studies have shown that a regular training program reverses aging at the cellular level. A physical therapist can ensure that you stay with the program and maintain the proper diet and exercise which helps to slow the aging process
- More often than not, most individuals get too busy or they are simply too tired to take care of their health. If you set up a year-long plan with a physical therapist you will avoid some of the health problems that will develop as a result of living a fast-paced and stressful lifestyle. You will also be more likely to stick with the regimen if you have a physical therapist to guide you on a regular basis.
Call our office at 504 - 899 -2663 for more information or to schedule your physical therapy wellness visit.